The average American watches three and a half hours of television every day, which adds up to 56 days of channel surfing per year. By the age of 65, over nine years will have been spent in front of the television. Instead of spending countless hours in front of the television, try exercising! Exercising is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
According to Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, being physically active on a regular basis:
- Improves your chances of living longer and living healthier
- Helps protect you from developing heart disease and stroke or its precursors, high blood pressure and undesirable blood lipid patterns
- Helps protect you from developing certain cancers, including colon and breast cancer, and possibly lung and endometrial (uterine lining) cancer
- Helps prevent type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Helps prevent the insidious loss of bone known as osteoporosis
- Reduces the risk of falling and improves cognitive function among older adults
- Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety and improves mood
- Prevents weight gain, promotes weight loss (when combined with a lower-calorie diet), and helps keep weight off after weight loss
- Improves heart-lung and muscle fitness
- Improves sleep
Exercising helps improve your health and overall happiness! If you are looking for help getting motivated to exercise, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment with a personal trainer!