Many people have trouble falling asleep at night. For people who often have backaches, falling asleep can be extremely difficult. To help prevent or reduce back pain, there are certain sleeping positions that are better than others.
Good Sleeping Positions:
- Sleep in a neutral position. In other words, do not arch your back too much and do not keep it completely flat. If you prefer to sleep on your side, try placing a pillow between your knees. This will help keep your top leg from falling over your bottom leg. If you prefer to sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees.
- Try to sleep on your back. Research shows that this is the best sleeping position to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your back helps to maintain the neutral position discussed above. This sleeping position also helps to reduce acid reflux and minimize wrinkles.
- The next best sleeping position is on your side. This will help to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your side can benefit your overall health. This sleeping position reduces acid reflux and snoring. By sleeping on your side your spine stays elongated. It’s also the most recommended sleeping position for women during pregnancy.
Bad Sleeping Positions:
- Try not to sleep in the fetal position. This sleeping position is not good for preventing neck and back pain. The fetal position is especially bad if you have an arthritic back or joints.
- The worst sleeping position is the stomach position. If you are trying to avoid neck and back pain, do your best to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This position puts pressure on joints and muscles, which makes it very difficult to maintain a neutral position.
If you are experiencing back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
The first step in motivating oneself is defining the motive for your engagement. This could coincide with two categories; internal and instrumental. An internal motive is for the personal gain of discovery for example, a personal trainer wants to discover the effects of a new workout routine so he researches this routine my implementing it as his new workout. This is internal because, the trainer wanting to discover the workouts effects is intrinsically related to research. Now say he wanted to discover the effects of this new routine to have it published in a fitness magazine to gain prominence in the workout culture, this would be an instrumental motive since, the relation between fame and research does not inherently coincide. However, people often have both internal and instrumental motives for their activities.
So one may ask, what is the appropriate mix of motives or which single motive is most advantageous in achieving success? One may come to believe that being motivated by both desires is more favorable than motivation by just one desire however, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences may disagree. One of their recently published articles is quoted saying, “instrumental motives are not always and asset and can actually be counterproductive to success.”
Data was drawn from 11,320 freshman cadets at West Point who were asked to rate what set of motives influenced their desires to attend the Military Academy. The data was examined five years later and without surprise to the NAS those with stronger internal reasons were more likely to graduate, become commissioned officers, and retain their service after their five years of required duty. Unless, they also combined this drive with strong instrumental motives. The combination of both motives lead to worse performance measures on graduation, effectiveness as a military officer, and less commitment to staying in the military.
The study suggest that when a person focuses on the impact and significance of their work instead of the financial or personal gain from that this may be the best and most effective way to improve quality of their work but also, their financial and personal gains.
So, next time you’re trying to motivate yourself t success focus on the significance and importance your work has as a whole and the personal gains will follow. Focus on the task at hand and challenge yourself to deliver better quality each and every time.
Sometimes we feel that our lives are out of our control. We can begin to feel helpless as time continues to pass us by. Gaining control of your life means turning your words into actions. Many of us are guilty of putting these off till later. We often use the excuse that now is not the right time. To avoid wasting time we need to act. To have the courage to take actions, we need to have confidence in our choices and ourselves. When we feel confident we can change our outlook on life. Suddenly the impossible becomes possible. We can also change our attitude towards life—Carpe Diem! One of the main reasons people are afraid to act is because they fear failing. So, how do we overcome this fear? The key is developing self-confidence. Read the following tips that can help you start building your confidence today!
- Project confidence. Throughout the day, pay close attention to your body language. Try to work on your posture and make sure to make eye contact when talking with coworkers. If you project confidence, you’ll start to feel confident.
- Accept compliments. Instead of brushing off compliments, be gracious and appreciative. Giving compliments is great, but receiving them graciously is also great. This shows that you are confident with yourself and proud of your hard work and efforts.
- See and take opportunities. Instead of looking at setbacks as a negative, turn them into positives! By creating opportunities you are opening doors rather than closing them. This positive outlook on life will help you transform into the person you want to be.
To learn more about how to develop your self-confidence, check out this site and contact the Lavanga Group today!
With Summer right around the corner, it’s about that time to start looking forward to beach trips and getaways. Vacations give you an opportunity to escape from your day-to-day responsibilities and get some much needed R&R. Most of us come home from vacations feeling relaxed, happy, and ready to get back to work! Vacations are great for getting a tan, spending time with family, and catching up on some reading. What most people don’t realize is that vacations are also good for your health! Check out the following ways a vacation can make you healthier and happier:
- Helps you to reduce stress. Whether you take a week long beach trip or just a day to play golf, vacations are one of the best ways to reduce stress levels!
- Give your heart a break. According to the Framingham Heart Study, “Women who take at least two vacations a year are eight times less likely to have coronary heart disease.” Another study done with men who had an elevated risk for coronary disease, showed that those who didn’t take an annual vacation were 32% more likely to die from a heart attack than the vacationers.
- Help you get closer to your family. Vacations help you to create memories and share experiences with your families.
- Make you smarter at work. According to the National Institutes of Health, research shows that stress can have an impact on decision making. By taking a few vacation days, you’ll feel refreshed and and focused.
For more information about your health, contact Lavanga Chiropractic today!
There is a direct correlation between the books you read, the people you meet, your intellectual progress, and your fulfillment in life,” says Charles Tremendous Jones. This does not mean that all intellectuals have fulfilling lives. The mental state is but one area of life. However, by immersing yourself in the writings of inspired people, you cannot escape unaffected.
It has been said that insanity is doing the same things in the same way and expecting a different result. I disagree! Insanity is thinking that by continuing to do the same thing in the same way, you will continue to get the same result. Because of the principle of entropy, doing the same thing in the same way will progressively bring a lesser result over time.
When you are green, you’re growing; when you are ripe you are rotting. A mind unchallenged is an invitation to deterioration. Synergy is bringing together and building up to higher frequency and greater potential. It requires energy. Entropy is a breaking apart and decaying to a lower frequency and dissipated state. It requires no energy.
Which you would love to do?
Chiropractic adjustment is defined as a procedure in which chiropractors use their hands or a small instrument to apply a controlled, sudden force to a spinal joint. Chiropractic adjustment is also referred to as spinal manipulation. The goal of chiropractic adjustment is to correct structural alignment. Chiropractic care helps to improve your body’s physical function.
Chiropractic care can be effective in treating lower back pain. Studies suggest that chiropractic treatment also may be effective for those suffering fro headaches, and other spine-related conditions, such as neck pain. Chiropractic treatment helps to improve your body’s physical function by promoting self-healing. No preparation is required before a chiropractic adjustment. Some patients may require a series of visits to your chiropractor.
To find out how chiropractic care can help improve your physical function, contact Lavanga Chiropractic today!
Lifting heavy objects can often be the cause of lower back pain. In fact, lifting incorrectly can cause muscle, disc, and joint injuries. There are many actions you can take to avoid hurting yourself and still get the job done. Check out the following tips to avoid injuring your back!
- It all comes down to planning ahead. You can save yourself from unwanted pain by making it easy to move objects. For example, if you are moving a dresser, make sure to remove the drawers first. This will help make it easier for you to lift. In addition, make sure you have a clear path. You don’t want to be struggling to lift heavy objects while trying to maneuver around a cluttered room.
- Ask for help! If you have a ton of groceries to carry in the house, don’t be afraid to ask someone to lend a hand. If your moving heavier furniture, invest in a dolly.
- Keep the object close to your body. When lifting something, you’ll decrease your chances of hurting your back if you hold it close to your body. In addition, you’ll have more strength and better balance when.
- Bend your knees. Make sure to keep your spine straight and use your leg muscles when lifting.
- Keep your feet shoulder length apart. This will create a solid base when lifting heavy objects.
If you’re experience back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
To efficiently develop muscle mass and strength while bench pressing muscular activation is essential. Authors at the European Journal of Sport Science sought out to discover the effects of muscle activation during bench pressing at various degrees. The degrees being, 0, 30, 45, and -15. If greater or lesser angles can enhance muscle activation, then those result will enable lifters to plan successful exercise programs.
What they found was that at a bench incline of 30 or 45 degrees the result was increased muscle activation, this provided insight into effective adaptations in the benches angle to optimize strength and tone. The concluded that “the present investigation demonstrate(s) the importance of considering the effects of muscle activation throughout different time points of the contraction/lift as variations may be evident…in an effort to optimize a resistance-training program with the goal of improving muscle strength and development of the pectoralis major, it would be beneficial to include horizontal bench press and an incline bench of 30 degrees.”
The study consisted of 14 resistance trained participants who undertook 2 training sessions. The first session they were asked to complete a one rep max. For the second session they were fitted with electrodes to assess the activation within muscles. They completes 6 reps for each of the four angles at a resistance of 65% of their one rep max. Effects of the angle of the bench were noted and the duration of muscle contraction and the contraction phase of the upper and lower pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, and lateral triceps brachii were observed.
If you have any questions regarding upper body muscle activation or are experiencing upper body pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic today!
Finding your motivation to get fit can be difficult. With busy work and family schedules, many of us tend to have a lack of motivation when it comes to fitness. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it’s important to make time in your schedule for physical activity. With summer right around the corner, now is the time to start motivating yourself! Check out these tips on how you can started:
- Be committed to a routine! Researches state that working out regularly creates intrinsic motivation, which is critical for staying with a long term routine.
- Create a friendly competition with your family or friends. To help keep you and your loved ones motivated to get fit, make a friendly wager!
- Enjoy working out with a supportive friend, family member, or significant other to help you stick to your fitness regimen.
- Find a workout you enjoy doing. This will make getting motivated easy. Try different classes, working out in the gym, or running outside. The options for workouts are endless!
If you need help getting motivated, contact The Lavanga Group to schedule an appointment today!
Getting motivated to run can be really difficult. Many of us have a love/hate relationship with running. The challenge lies with starting. The key to making running a hobby starts with making it apart of your schedule. Incorporating running into your daily routine benefits your health and overall happiness. Check out these tips on how to get motivated to run:
- Run with family and friends.
- Write it down or set a reminder on your phone.
- Find a mantra that will help you remember why you started to run.
- Talk with other runners to share tips.
- Reward yourself!
- Don’t think all or nothing. One mile is better than no miles.
- Remember the health benefits!
- Cut yourself some slack…it’s ok to take a day off!
- Make your goals prominent.
- Running should be something you enjoy doing, so remember to have fun!
To find out more information about motivation, contact The Lavanga Group today!