Music can help you stay motivated and focused. The act of listening to music can help you concentrate on a boring task. The Globe and Mail reported that, “Focusing on a favorite song combats de-motivating brain signals associated with fatigue or boredom.” For example, listening to music while working on a boring task keeps you energized and in the zone. People rely on music to get them through a tough workout or a long commute. Think of how you can use music to your advantage!
A powerful song can change your mood instantly. Music can be fun and uplifting or comforting and melancholy. In fact, “Music’s energizing effects comes from its ability to engage the body’s sympathetic nervous system. The activation of this system readies the body for action whenever we face a challenge in our environment.” Many people listen to music daily. Most people find that listening to music while driving can help you stay focused. Imagine how boring road-trips would be if there wasn’t any music to pass the time. Music can make you motivated to workout, clean, dance, sing, run, and so on. Music can also be beneficial to your health—to find out how, check out this site!
To find out more information about how staying motivated can benefit your health, contact The Lavanga Group today!
Ditch the medicine ball at your desk – you’re still sitting down. Obesity and metabolic syndrome are just two of the health concerns that have been directly linked to individuals sitting for long periods of time. Even if you have a desk job, it is suggested to get up and take a quick walk every so often. Some employers even allow a standing desk setup in which the employees are encouraged to use standing work stations instead of a desk and chair.
Too much sitting also seems to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer. Dr. James A. Levine details all of the risks of sitting too much in this article.
Back pain can be very painful which can make it difficult to do even simple tasks. Staying active can help you recover faster from back pain. Michael Melton, the CEO of ChiroHosting.com, states that those engage in physical activity while experiencing back pain will heal faster than those who are inactive.
Working out at the gym is not your only option—you can stay active while having fun! Try playing a game of tennis with your neighbor or going to the batting cages. Going to the park is one way for parents to stay active and spend time with their children. Setting time aside to get exercise is not always easy. Try to make it into a habit–this way you can heal from your back pain and prevent future pain. Another simple way to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine is by walking your dog around the neighborhood. Any physical activity is better than none. In addition to healing back pain, physical activity contributes to your overall health. A study found that, “Leisure-time physical activity improves mood and quality of life and prevents social isolation and loneliness.” Whether or not you are experiencing back pain, staying active is beneficial to your health.
To learn more about how you can stay active while experiencing back pain, contact the Lavanga Group.
Many people have trouble falling asleep at night. For people who often have backaches, falling asleep can be extremely difficult. To help prevent or reduce back pain, there are certain sleeping positions that are better than others.
Good Sleeping Positions:
- Sleep in a neutral position. In other words, do not arch your back too much and do not keep it completely flat. If you prefer to sleep on your side, try placing a pillow between your knees. This will help keep your top leg from falling over your bottom leg. If you prefer to sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees.
- Try to sleep on your back. Research shows that this is the best sleeping position to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your back helps to maintain the neutral position discussed above. This sleeping position also helps to reduce acid reflux and minimize wrinkles.
- The next best sleeping position is on your side. This will help to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your side can benefit your overall health. This sleeping position reduces acid reflux and snoring. By sleeping on your side your spine stays elongated. It’s also the most recommended sleeping position for women during pregnancy.
Bad Sleeping Positions:
- Try not to sleep in the fetal position. This sleeping position is not good for preventing neck and back pain. The fetal position is especially bad if you have an arthritic back or joints.
- The worst sleeping position is the stomach position. If you are trying to avoid neck and back pain, do your best to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This position puts pressure on joints and muscles, which makes it very difficult to maintain a neutral position.
If you are experiencing back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
According to WebMD a study shows how chronic lower back pain may not only be painful, but it appears to be impacting your brain as well. Researchers found that six months after spinal injections, the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, a brain region associated with pain, had thickened. Patients with lower back pain reported a difficulty concentrating, thus making it more difficult for them to perform the tasks. How we think has a huge impact on our lives and our bodies. We all face challenges. It is how we choose to process them that decides whether they will make use or break us. It is not only important to treat the pain. It is important to learn new healthy habits to better take care of your back and your health. In order to make a change that lasts. Do you know someone who has chronic back pain?
Back pain at best can be irritating at worst it can be debilitating. The impact it can have on your thinking process makes it even more critical to get help with it. There is no need to suffer anymore. Back pain impacts several areas of your life with your family, your career and how you feel about yourself. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
If you are suffering from back pain, call Lavanga Chiropractics to make an appointment today!
Lifting heavy objects can often be the cause of lower back pain. In fact, lifting incorrectly can cause muscle, disc, and joint injuries. There are many actions you can take to avoid hurting yourself and still get the job done. Check out the following tips to avoid injuring your back!
- It all comes down to planning ahead. You can save yourself from unwanted pain by making it easy to move objects. For example, if you are moving a dresser, make sure to remove the drawers first. This will help make it easier for you to lift. In addition, make sure you have a clear path. You don’t want to be struggling to lift heavy objects while trying to maneuver around a cluttered room.
- Ask for help! If you have a ton of groceries to carry in the house, don’t be afraid to ask someone to lend a hand. If your moving heavier furniture, invest in a dolly.
- Keep the object close to your body. When lifting something, you’ll decrease your chances of hurting your back if you hold it close to your body. In addition, you’ll have more strength and better balance when.
- Bend your knees. Make sure to keep your spine straight and use your leg muscles when lifting.
- Keep your feet shoulder length apart. This will create a solid base when lifting heavy objects.
If you’re experience back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
With Summer right around the corner, it’s about that time to start looking forward to beach trips and getaways. Vacations give you an opportunity to escape from your day-to-day responsibilities and get some much needed R&R. Most of us come home from vacations feeling relaxed, happy, and ready to get back to work! Vacations are great for getting a tan, spending time with family, and catching up on some reading. What most people don’t realize is that vacations are also good for your health! Check out the following ways a vacation can make you healthier and happier:
- Helps you to reduce stress. Whether you take a week long beach trip or just a day to play golf, vacations are one of the best ways to reduce stress levels!
- Give your heart a break. According to the Framingham Heart Study, “Women who take at least two vacations a year are eight times less likely to have coronary heart disease.” Another study done with men who had an elevated risk for coronary disease, showed that those who didn’t take an annual vacation were 32% more likely to die from a heart attack than the vacationers.
- Help you get closer to your family. Vacations help you to create memories and share experiences with your families.
- Make you smarter at work. According to the National Institutes of Health, research shows that stress can have an impact on decision making. By taking a few vacation days, you’ll feel refreshed and and focused.
For more information about your health, contact Lavanga Chiropractic today!
Prevent Holiday Season Injuries
A cocktail of excitement, stress, tiredness and alcohol can create unexpected hazards in the home at Christmas.
More than 80,000 people a year need hospital treatment for injuries such as falls, cuts and burns during the festive period.
During Christmas, your home is likely to be full of people and, in the excitement, accidents can easily happen.
“We want to help people prevent their festivities being cut short by a trip to A&E,” says Sheila Merrill, home safety manager at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).
“Our message is that the home should be as safe as necessary, rather than as safe as possible. With a little more care and forward planning, most accidents could be avoided.”
Hot fat, boiling water and sharp knives make the kitchen one of the most dangerous places during the holiday.
“The Christmas meal is probably the biggest meal most families cook all year. It needs careful planning to avoid injuries,” says Merrill.
Continue Reading here
Finding your motivation to get fit can be difficult. With busy work and family schedules, many of us tend to have a lack of motivation when it comes to fitness. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it’s important to make time in your schedule for physical activity. With summer right around the corner, now is the time to start motivating yourself! Check out these tips on how you can started:
- Be committed to a routine! Researches state that working out regularly creates intrinsic motivation, which is critical for staying with a long term routine.
- Create a friendly competition with your family or friends. To help keep you and your loved ones motivated to get fit, make a friendly wager!
- Enjoy working out with a supportive friend, family member, or significant other to help you stick to your fitness regimen.
- Find a workout you enjoy doing. This will make getting motivated easy. Try different classes, working out in the gym, or running outside. The options for workouts are endless!
If you need help getting motivated, contact The Lavanga Group to schedule an appointment today!
Sometimes the relaxing period of time after getting a massage makes us forget that a regular massage benefits our health! The most noticed benefit is the relaxation that follows immediately – you will even be asked to sit up slowly and take a glass of water before you are on your way out. Massages are a great way to reduce stress and bring back tranquility and peace to your life – even if it is only for a short time during the actual massage. The more unnoticed massage benefits include help for the following conditions:
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Paresthesias and nerve pain
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Types of massage
Swedish massage is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
Deep massage is among the more common. This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
Sports massage is similar to Swedish massage, but it’s geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
Trigger point massage focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.
You masseuse can identify which form of massage will be best suited for your needs. As with all other forms of pain relief and exercise, be sure to check with your doctor before you start a new regimen. Read more about massage benefits here.
To enjoy massage benefits The Lavanga Group has to offer, and to schedule your massage, contact Lavanga Holistic Center today! Now through February 14, 2015 single massages are only $59.00 or schedule a couples massage for $119.00(a $30.00 savings!). What a great way to reconnect and simply be with your loved one!